Mother Fluker

A Migrant Mother's Musings

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Muffin Man

H has fortunately always been a good eater, but he has started really strongly holding out for his favourite foods and declining to fill himself with meat and vegetables if there's any hope of getting something baked and sweet. D and I are being resolute about having to eat his main course first, but so far, it hasn't stopped him trying for pudding straight off. In the meantime, if I really need to get him to do something, I promise him a muffin - works every time. H, if you are reading this in twenty years' time, you can blame your emotionally-based obesity on your desperate and exhausted mother.

But it's hard not to exploit such a passion. In the past few weeks, we've been teaching H to say "I love you" in a shameless bid to elicit displays of cuteness on demand. Last week he reeled off the whole repertoire.

"I love you, Mummy."
"I love you too, H."
"I love you, Daddy."
"That's nice."
"I love you, B."
"You are a nice brother, aren't you?"
"I love you, Nanna."
"Nanna loves you too."

There was a short pause as H furrowed his brow and worked out what could possibly come next. Then he gave a delighted smile and said:

"I love you, CAKE!"

Yep, he's got his priorities all sorted out.