Mother Fluker

A Migrant Mother's Musings

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Things you thought you would never hear your husband say.

This morning as he was leaving for work, D said to me "That Cracker one is really good. Though it's not as good as Fifi. Slugsy is a brilliant character".

I stared at him blankly for a moment before I realised that he was referring to H's now-extensive collection of DVDs, one of which is usually playing at some point during the early morning chaos chez the Flukers. Hearing him comment so incisively on Boohbah and Fifi Flowertot was kind of freaky. After almost 18 years together, 16 of which were child-free, we frequently surprise each other in our new roles.

Seriously though, what is it with Boohbah? The first time I ever saw it was during a nasty hangover on New Year's Day. I was prostrate on the sofa and had shoved on a random DVD that had appeared in H's pile of Christmas presents. It's without a doubt the most bizarre thing I have watched on screen in many years and in my fragile state I have to say I found it rather disturbing. For the uninitiated, a giant ball of light whizzes around the world while five luridly coloured furry blobs perform dances to squeaky music. Watching the dances gave me unpleasant flashbacks to my postnatal aerobics classes. H seems completely hypnotised by it, so it has remained in the top 5 "God-help-me-I-need-5-minutes-to-do-something" resource list. But it is seriously weird, and I am sure that selective urine-testing of its creators would reveal definite illegal activity.