Mother Fluker

A Migrant Mother's Musings

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Hair today...

...gone tomorrow. At least, I wish that applied to H's hair. He has reached the critical stage of floppy blond locks now falling into his eyes and over his ears and I am braced to endure the awful task that taking him to the hairdressers has become.

The first time I got H's hair cut, he was good as gold and beamed beatifically at all the other customers, while giving Jodie the hairdresser a look of bemused wonderment as she snipped about. Of course, Nanna was present on that occasion so naughtiness was an unlikely event anyway.

The second time was a bit harder, but we all got through it unscathed.

The third time he went totally berserk, having decided that he wanted to play in the traffic outside rather than sit in the salon. After prolonged wrestling, we managed to get about a third of his hair cut. He walked around with a third of a haircut for a week until I managed to slot in taking him back. The rest of his hair was eventually cut, but not before the other customers suffered eardrum perforations and my nerves were in shreds.

Today, the hairdresser mysteriously claimed to be completely booked up at all the times I suggested. I think she doesn't want to face the ordeal any more, and to be honest, I can't blame her.

I daren't attempt to cut it myself as the thrashing about that goes on in proximity to the scissors is a responsibility that can only be foisted on a professional.

I'm beginning to think that dreadlocks may be the answer.