Mother Fluker

A Migrant Mother's Musings

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Hopalong

D told me last week that one of the receptionists at work keeps a kangaroo under the desk. Now, good though he is at winding me up, and gullible enough as I usually am to fall for his stories, I wasn't having a bar of that one.

But he persisted with unusual tenacity and even told me that Caroline had invited H along to pet it and feed it. So this morning we duly turned up at the airport to see Bob, a year-old little orphan joey who was ensconced in a box of blankets at the International Terminal reception desk.

H smothered Bob with kisses, which must have been rather alarming. Nevertheless Bob handled the situation with aplomb. Bob is released into the big wide world next week, the 10th time Caroline has had to let a baby go in this way. Amazing.