Mother Fluker

A Migrant Mother's Musings

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Second-baby guilt

Only 4 weeks to go now, and the time is whirling by in a mad rush of working and decorating. I'm getting progressively huger. Yesterday at work no fewer than four male colleagues spontaneously commented on how big I had become. I had to restrain myself from saying, yeah well, I'm pregnant, what's your excuse? - they could all have done with shedding a few kilos themselves.

Still, at my check-up this morning I discovered that I am a full 5.5 kilos lighter than I was at the same stage last time around, which just goes to prove that it's all relative.

My main concern at the moment is in trying to prepare H for the momentous change in his status that is about to occur,i.e., from sole proprietor of parental attention to Sibling. He has, I think, absolutely no concept of the idea of the baby, despite a combination of D, me and daycare helpers prattling on about it. If asked, he will point to my stomach and say "Sister!" and giggle for a bit (interesting as we do not know the sex and he is quite consistent in this), but I can't divine any real understanding. I feel so guilty that I will not be able to give him as much attention in the coming months as I have done to date, without being able to explain to him why that is.

And that whole nurturing/dolly thing is not in his play repertoire at all, despite encouragement. If it doesn't have wheels, you can't read it or build a tower with it, he's not fussed.

Poor little H. He's got such a shock in store.