Mother Fluker

A Migrant Mother's Musings

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Dairy R

The H has been babbling in rubbishy nonsense for a while now, his earnest little face watching you carefully for reactions while he imparts his latest scrambled words of wisdom. I usually say "Really?", nod and raise my eyebrows in appropriate conversational places. It's amazing how easy it is to do this - probably because I have been employing the technique with various relatives for years.

But H is now beginning to copy the odd word and phrase that he hears me or his father saying. Recently we caught him saying in a resolutely cheerful tone "Dairy R!" at regular intervals while playing. It was only when I heard D say to him "There we are!" as he passed him a toy that I realised its provenance. Must really make an effort to stop swearing in H's presence. Am definitely on borrowed time in this regard.