Mother Fluker

A Migrant Mother's Musings

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Beginning anywhere

Okay, so this thing works. I'm dusting down my few remaining brain cells and committing myself to start posting stuff on some kind of regular basis. This is what I planned to do a good while ago as an exercise to document the unexpected experiences of entering late motherhood and simultaneous emigration. Better late than never.

Three years ago I returned from a year-long around-the-world trip, and it took me over a year to write that one up. And be warned - the abbreviated version had over 165,000 words. But I'm not planning a conscious retrospective of pregnancy, childbirth and the tumult of becoming a parent, just the odd hallucinatory flashback. And for the sake of those of you yet to breed, or who have chosen to remain child-free, I will try to avoid references to caesarian sections, nappies or the general fiesta of bodily fluids that is unfortunately involved. Unless I really can't resist. You don't have to read any of this, you know.